Gingernuts Caramel Slice Recipe
Ingredients for the base:
? pack of Griffin?s Gingernuts Originals, crushed
? pack of Griffin?s Gingernuts Fingers, crushed
125g unsalted butter, melted
For the caramel:
15 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter
2 tbsp honey or golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the chocolate top:
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped
? cup of cream
1. Line a 27x18cm slice pan with baking paper and combine with melted butter.
2. Press firmly into the base of a slice pan. Place pan into the freezer until set (approx 20 mins).
3. In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, butter, and honey or golden syrup.
4. Use a rubber spatula to mix slowly but continuously for about ten minutes.
5. Heat until mixture reaches a golden caramel colour and begins pulling away from the pan, then remove from heat and mix in salt.
6. Pour mixture over your biscuit base and use a spatula to make sure it?s even. Place in the fridge to harden completely, which should take about 2 hours.
7. Once the bars have cooled, make your tasty chocolate layer. Prepare a double boiler over medium heat. Chop the chocolate and pour 3/4 of it into a glass or metal bowl, then stir in ? cup of cream while melting the chocolate.
8. Remove from heat, fold in remaining 1/4 of chocolate, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Times up! Stir the mixture, making sure all the chocolate has melted completely. Pour over chilled mixture, then place back in the fridge to harden.
9. Cut into 1×2 inch bars and serve. The slice will last up to 1 week when sealed tightly in a container in the fridge, but let?s be honest – it probably won?t be around for that long.
For more recipes like this, click here